Friday, October 22, 2010
Wool verses non wool = I finally understand the difference
I have upgraded *smile* with the granny square. I was doing the solid granny square just now and chose a black coloured ball of yarn. As I was crotcheting I felt the softness and the easyness of the yarn. I remembered my friend Salihan d...escribing the this same thing. That she would never use an acryl ball of yarn again. I didn't understand back then but today I come to discover something new.
What softness and delicateness and so easy to use it. What a world of difference between the two. It's like diamond and zirconia.
I was planning to make my neighbour Tante Til a pair of granny square slippers and I know she will soon need it. Last year I bought her leg warmers and she thoroughly enjoyed it and I thought how about if I made her a granny square slipper this year. I really got to finish it sooner and I hope against all odds that I could finish it in 2 weeks.
Anyway, back to the wool, I am going to unwind it (Alex said that would happen, remember?) and use that wool for a scarf. Here in holland we call it a shawl.
I am going to use acryl for the granny squares. After all Tante Til is going to wear them and wear them out. Each time we go to the flea market in a certain place, I normally buy 2 pairs from a lady who makes them.
to be continued .......
I was given quite a lot of yarn from the neighbours because I was interested in learning knitting. So, for practise sake I will use the not so good yarns and when I have achieved a certain level of good knitting, then I will get me some real wool.
Jeanmarie Harvey I LOVE crocheting!!!!! I am addicted!!! I am just learning to knit! It feels weird with two needles instead of my one little hook!
Wow for you! Amazing that you can crochet and besides you are so young too. Amazing. My late sister could crotchet, knit and tat very well. I was just too young back then to learn anything from her nor my mom (was the last kid). But I d...id learn from a private tuitor on how to crotchet but that was like 30 years ago. I could understand symbols but the patterns with ... you know 2DC, sl sp .... whatever .... they're so difficult to understand. *smile* .....
Even the granny squares I find difficulty to go over to the next level. I just any which way hook up hehehhehe.
As for knitting, I have never ventured more than a simple straight knitting and the beginning of a socks.
I am sure you will get adapted very quickly with the knitting. What are you learning to knit now? if I may ask.
It's relaxing isn't it to do craft work and a sense of achievement.
Oh I am so happy to know that you're into handwork.
Jean, you wouldn't believe it but I have so many stuffs in my cupboard, I have no idea what I am specialised in hahahha. I have material for macrame, for cross stitch, for knitting, for sewing, quilting, crotcheting ......... I don't even know where I should start.
Each time I start something, mostly on the dining table in the living room, and then something comes up and I have to pack them to free the table and I forget about it. Then, I will go digging to do something else and then that gets disrupted and end of story.
Thing is when I stop for a day or two, Alex packs my things (to keep the place tidy) but I end up not being able to get the things back again. It's in this box or that, just some place.
Tell you about my other interests - Caligraphy - bought a set of it and yet to use. Why I don't use it is because my hand gets cramped up.
Glass paint -- to paint the windows - same as in the churches .....
Oil paint --- must be dried by now - thought of painting the cows.
I am just an half century year old person who just doesn't know where to start.
Oh wait, baking!!!!! Bread baking - it happened only twice.
Next is soap making ---- I am collecting all the stuffs now, just one more item and I will do that.
I am so blessed to have a very very understanding man who is actually happy that I have some sort of hobby (so that he can watch football quietly).
See, lately I have been quietly crocheting right, he is happyily occupied with his football. No interuptions.
Oh dear, am writing way too long ...... and it's I wanted to go to bed early.
Next, I need to learn to write just 3 sentences and stop. But it's so difficult. Good nite Jean. Enjoy your day
I mostly don't buy my things first hand. They're mostly bought secondhand from the charity shops, second hand shops or if I posted on a dutch site here saying that I am looking for this and that, and people who have stopped their hobbies give them to me or sell them to me.
Great Grandma you had. Thanks for sharing your passion with me Jean, I appreciate it. I am happy there are others who have a quest for handcrafts. Yeah, stained glass, was trying to find for that word. I think alot in dutch nowadays, so... the dutch word kept popping in my head.
I hope I soon get a room just for myself and I can do what I want. First thing is to organise everything. Most of the stuffs are in boxes right now. *smile* ...... soon.
Have a great day! and hope you are recovering from your cold. Rest well Jean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment