Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Netherlands Citizenship

Yesterday, I received my Netherlands citizenship. I was at the town hall to meet the mayor of my city to collect my papers. I had to swear an oath and *I sweared by God Almighty* to uphold the rules of being a citizen of this country.
He gave a speech of how in the Netherlands, we have no discrimination against race, religion or sexuality.
I ... Read morealso received a bouquet of flowers all in orangy tones (dutch favourite colour). We were served tea and dutch cookies.
Later I had a little chat with the Mayor. When talking I looked straight into his eyes and what I saw was alot of love and kindness. He is a good man.

There were 2 extra bouquet of flowers left on the table (2 people didn't attend the ceremony) and I asked the person in charge if I could have 1 bouquet for a neighbour who is dying from cancer and he said yes, go ahead.
Brought it back and went straight to my neighbour, 2 houses away and gave her and she was so pleased smiling ear to ear. I ... Read moretold her the good news and she gave me a pat on the back.
She is 86 years old and suffering from Hodgkin's Disease, a sort of cancer.
She is the lady who taught me the first steps to knit circular knitting, the socks. She also gave me my first 4 knitting needles for knitting a sock.
When she leaves, I will surely miss her, till I meet her again in my Father's house.

Wendy Goh
First, congratulation to you now that you have the dutch citizenship after a long wait. Secondly thumbs up for your kind thoughts on your dying neighbour. Bible taughts us to love our neighbour as ourselves. you did the right thing. Thirdly admire you that you have received the most previous gift (knitting needles) and the skill of knitting from ... Read moreher. You are indeed blessed to have such a nice neighbour. Continue to treasure her presents while you can. Yes we all will meet in our Fatherly home one day. Amen . til then we shall said welcome home sisters!

Janet Ellen Shen
Thank the Lord and congratulation to you did snap a photo of your this special moments of your happy occasion of becoming a citizens of Netherland the moment you have been waiting for.

Sandra
Wendy dear > Thanks for the congrats but ..... I didn't have to wait long. Originally I was happy with my Permanent Residency and didn't want the dutch citizenship (in case I want to come back home). As you all know my first years here was miserable and I was terribly depressed. No honeymoon for me.
But since things changed for the better and ... Read moreI thought I feel secured now, then did I consider applying for the citizenship.
I applied this year april when I made a concrete decision and surprisingly I got it this soon. Anyway, according to dutch laws I am allowed to have dual citizenship since I am married to a native.

Sandra
Wendy dear again > haha, knitting, yes, I learned how to hold the 4 needles and the cast on and how to divide the stitches amongst the 4 needles from her. But the very next week she became ill and later we came to know that she had Hodgkins Disease.
She lost most of her appetite but she did enjoy the cherry tomatoes, the fruits from the garden ... Read moreand the cucumbers that I brought her during the summer months. Many times I did stop over to have a chat and she mentioned how she was at peace and awaiting to meet our Lord. So I am not feeling so distressed too. I do feel peaceful within me.
03 November at 13:09 · Delete

Sandra
Janet dear > Thanks for the congrats. hmmmmmm *sigh* as usual ..... no good photos. All was blur. I told you or to Patrick in one of the earlier comments about the camera ..... our dear friend needs to go for a course on photography. The only pictures that seems to turn out good are the flowers. I think, out of 100 pictures of me snapped, maybe 2 is good. Hahahaha, nevermind lah. The memory of yesterday is etched in my mind. It's good enough.

Wendy Goh
thanks for the updating and now i learnt sio much of Dutch.... hahaha keep up your strong faith and keep praying. never ceased to prayers. If you have bible now, turn to Jeremiah 29:11 and Phil 4:19. These verses are very meaningful and is dedicated to you mydear frd in far away land.

Lee Nar
Congratulations on your citizenship!!! you are now part of a great country:)))

Wendy > Let me guess Jeremiah 29:11 - I know my plans for you and that is to prosper you and ..... something like that. Let me check the bible now.

Sandra
Wendy > Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

KJB Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.... Read more
---------------------
Wendy, before I left singapore to come here, I was attending Bethesda church in Chai Chee and in one of the house meetings on a friday for bible study, a sister, she told me that when she prayed that morning about me/for me, this was the message that the Lord had for me. She told me to write it down and not to ever forget it.
And here you are telling me the same thing. Amazing! Awesome!

No comments: