Friday, May 25, 2007

Kaya



I have been craving, no, WE have been craving for kaya for quite some time now. Yes, we could have gone down to Xotus in delft or to the Boat shop in Rotterdam, oriental supermarkts, to buy our kaya in cans, but everytime we plan to go shopping, something comes up and we don't make it.

Anyway, I had so many eggs at home, in preparation for my baking weekend, I thought we could spare 10 eggs for this kaya making.

You wouldn't believe that I was actually in the kitchen at 10 pm making this kaya, just because I was bent on having it for morning breakfast.

In case you are interested, I used 1 can of 400 ml coconut milk, 400 gm sugar and 10 eggs.
Mix the coconut and sugar well. In another pan, mix all the eggs till they break up (don't overbeat, don't underbeat). Add the egg mixture into the coconut and sugar mixture, mix a bit, then onto the stove. The lowest setting. Takes a long long time for it to get cooked. Keep stirring constantly.

What I stupidly forgot to do was to use my white sugar when I could have used my brown sugar. Now I have to go shopping to get more sugar.

Next time, I will use brown sugar. Looks nicer anyway.

Result of the Kaya, perfect. 400 gms sugar wasn't too sweet. Yes it was sweet but not that terribly sweet. We had a good breakfast this morning.

No comments: